- The most accurate screening test for prostate cancer
- Can help doctors distinguish between aggressive and slow-growing cancers
- Can help avoid unnecessary biopsies and associated side effects
- Recommended by the American Urological Association
Multiparametric prostate MRI (mpMRI) is an exciting new screening tool for men who have risk factors for prostate cancer. As a front-line test, it can help you detect—or rule out—prostate cancer without the “poke and hope” approach of a blind prostate biopsy.
If a biopsy is needed, prostate MRI can ensure the biopsy is highly targeted to the area in question, potentially reducing the number of biopsy samples needed and thereby reducing the number of needle sticks required to obtain them.
If you have two or more of the following risk factors, you may benefit from prostate MRI:
- 65 years of age or older
- Elevated PSA
- Abnormal digital rectal exam
- Family history
- African American
- Enlarged prostate