Many pain procedures can now be performed to help diagnose and treat pain in the spine, adjacent muscles, or joints. These procedures typically involve injection of local anesthetic along with a steroid medication. Image guidance is generally extremely helpful and often critical in performing these procedures. Hence, these procedures are being performed by radiologists, who are imaging specialists, with more and more frequency.
Imaging Healthcare Specialists’ physician staff includes Neuroradiologists and Interventional radiologists with Certificates of Added Qualifications issued by the American College of Radiology in their respective sub-specialties.
Pain Management Procedures
Click the procedures below for more information
- Arrive at the specifed time to allow for registration and exam preparation.
- Notify us upon arrival of any special needs or allergies
- Bring insurance card and authorization or worker’s comp information.
- Plan to pay required co-pays at the time of service.
- Wear comfortable clothing.
- Bring a picture ID.
To insure the highest quality procedure in a safe environment, we are unable to provide child care services for you at the time of your examination. Please do not bring unattended children to the imaging center.
Epidural General Prep Instructions
- Lumbar Epidural injections are generally performed as an outpatient procedure.
- Cervical Epidural injections are generally performed as an outpatient procedure as well, but we prefer to perform these at the hospital (Mercy Hospital) as these tend to be more complex cases.
- We require the patient have a driver with them for after the procedure.
- It is most helpful for patients to stop taking their medication for back pain (if they are taking any) the day of the procedure, as it allows increased diagnostic accuracy.
- We may or may not use intravenous sedation for these procedures.
- The Lumbar Epidural procedure is performed with fluoroscopic (X-RAY) guidance.
- The Cervical Epidural procedure is performed with CT guidance.
Our Specialists In This Procedure
North Coast Health Center
477 N. El Camino real
Encinitas, CA 92024
T 760 452 7150
F 760 632 5389
Walk-in X-ray Hours:
Walk-in DEXA Hours:
M-F 8am-12pm and 1pm-4pm
Hillcrest – 5th Avenue
3366 Fifth Avenue
San Diego, CA 92103
T 619 295 9729
F 619 295 2549